French tests and certifications
French language tests and certifications
It is important for a student of French as a foreign language to validate his or her knowledge in an official way, with suitable organisations. You will find here a list (not exhaustive) of tests and exams that you can take in the future.
These tests and exams do not come directly to AAA, but we encourage our students to take the French exams, and offer DELF/DALF exam preparation courses in order to be ready on the day.
The exams are offered by France Education International (FEI) and Business French (of the Paris Chamber of Commerce and Industry).
France Education International
FEI is an official French institute that designs and manages a wide range of examinations and certification. If you are interested in certain exams, we recommend you visit the official FEI website for full details.
French for business
French for business is an establishment of the Paris Ile-de-France Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and an organisation for certification and training in French for professional purposes. The official website of the French for business.
List of French language exams and tests
French language diplomas :
- The DIFL (Diplôme Initial de Langue Française) :
The DIFL (Diplôme Initial de Langue Française) is a diploma validating a first level of mastery of French (A1.1 of the CERC)
- The DELF (Diplôme d’études en langue Française) and the DALF (Diplôme Approfondi en Langue Française):
The DELF is available in several forms (general public, junior, school) adapted to your age group. However, they all have the same format.
The diplomas are to certify the French language skills of foreign candidates and French nationals from a non-French speaking country who do not hold a French public secondary or higher education diploma.
The DELF is presented by level of The European Framework of Reference for Languages (A1, A2, B1 and B2). The DALF is presented for two distinct levels, C1 and C2.
The DILF, DELF and DALF are official diplomas issued by the Ministry of National Education, Higher Education and Research and are therefore valid for life.
You can prepare for the DELF and DALF diplomas at AAA with our preparation courses.
French language tests
- The TCF (Test d’Évaluation de Français)
The TCF is a test designed to evaluate your knowledge of French via three compulsory tests (oral comprehension, mastery of the structures of the language, written comprehension) to which two additional tests (oral expression and written expression) may be added. Candidates obtain a certificate of their overall level which is valid for two years. This test provides a reliable assessment of language skills, which are particularly useful for university administrations. It is also available in other forms (TCF Access to French nationality, TCF Quebec, TCF French residency card etc.)
- The TEF (Test d’Évaluation de Français)
The TEF is a test that measures your level of knowledge and skills in French. The results are valid for two years. It is available in several forms adapted to different needs: naturalisation, professional, study, immigration, etc…
Why take the DELF/DALF?
- French language skills officially recognised for life.
- Certifications recognised worldwide.
- Your international, student and professional mobility made easy.
- Possibility of entering a university in France (with a B2 level diploma or higher) without an additional language test.
- Diplomas recognised by French-speaking universities around the world from Belgium to Canada.
- A real asset for your professional career, to work in a French-speaking region, country or in a bilingual work environment.